C-Section Scheduled – Monday, April 12th

Based on the baby still being breech on Thursday (and today) my OB went ahead and scheduled me to have a c-section on Monday, April 12. She truly believes a version is not the best option, as it really can cause strain on the baby and often ends in an emergency C=section. She also said per the U/S, I was measuring ahead one week so they also moved my due date to be April 15th.

When I arrive at 6 am, they are going to do another U/S. If the baby did move to head down, they’ll induce and I’ll have he/she vaginally. If not, they’ll go ahead and perform the c-section at 8:30 am. I’m hoping for the vaginal delivery but have accepted this might not be the case.

That day of the birth and day I come home, we’ll have coverage for my son and Nils will take the day off work, but I’m trying to plan for help for the following week. I understand I will stay in the hospital until Friday, providing there are no complications.

I asked how soon could you breastfeed after the c-section and my OB said I should be able to do it within an hour of being back in my room. I’m happy about that too!

35 weeks, 1 day – Baby is STILL Breech but has changed positions

We just returned from an ultrasound at MGH where we were told the baby is still in Breech position, with the head in the middle of my belly between my breasts, back on the left side, bum on the pelvic bone and feet and arms along the right side.  That explains why I feel sudden sharp pains down there, almost like a foot can come out, its because the foot IS down there.

So now we wait.  I will return to my OB on Monday, March 22 for my weekly appointment. At that appointment, she’s going to recommend we schedule the elective C-Section at 39 weeks and hope the baby changes position and we go into labor on our own.  Should we go into labor before the scheduled date, they’ll check via either an ultrasound or depending on how much I’ve dialated they can feel if it’s the head or the bum.  From there they’ll decide if we have an emergency C-Section or deliver vaginally.  I dread a C-Section!

34 weeks and 5 days – update on baby’s position.

I just returned from my OB appointment.

My Dr. said she couldn’t confirm it was either breech or face down based on the heartbeat or by feeling it, so I have an ultrasound on Thursday to see.

Her recommendation was that if the baby was breech then, we schedule a c-section for 39 weeks but hope the baby moves head down and I go into natural birth.

Her professional opinion is that she is not a huge fan of trying to move the baby via version. She feels more than 50% don’t move and it can cause a lot of pain and stress on the baby.

So now we wait and see.