Dublin, Ireland: Exploration & Fact Finding Trip – Day Two

Day two begins with he kids and I starting our day off at Starbucks just next to our hotel in the HCQ building.   I had what is called a “Venti Misto”.  A the whopping price of €3.70, you think it was gold or something fancy like a Grande Skinny Mocalatte Frappachino, but no, it’s just a large sized black coffee mixed with warm milk.  Robbery at that price.  The kids both had an Innocent Smoothie and Blueberry muffin each.  Anyway, we won’t be going there much. It was SOOOO expensive – I think it was something like €15.00.   I was thinking it should be like €7.00 tops.    Clearly the kids need something to eat, so we’re going to try the bagel place around the corner tomorrow.

After we finished, we made our plan for the day.  We decided as it was dry, we’d head to the Dublin Zoo.   We started out with the plans to take the LUAS up to Heuston Station and then walk.  But when we were waiting for the tram to come, there was an announcement that there was an accident involving a tram at Museum station, so no trams were running after Abby Street.  Grrr annoyed a bit, we scrapped the LUAS idea and took a taxi, despite already having bought tickets.   The driver, from Raheny, was a nice guy and gave me lots of insider information about the areas and which places are nicer for families and others not so nice.

When we go to the zoo, it was cold – much colder than we thought.  I thought they had created an indoor play space too, but turns out there is a covered play space so if it rains they will be out of the rain, but still freezing!   The kids had fun, climbing and getting a snack in the machine seen behind (and then at every machine throughout the park asked for something).

After we left this play area, we found two others in the park, where they had some fun.


Both kids were cold and at times pushed my buttons, but all in all it was more fun than horrible.  Maebh took about an hour long, much-needed nap in the rented buggy.  Soren and I walked around looking at all the animals.

Towards the end, we came to the elephants.  When Nils I were here over 7 years ago, there was a baby and it was so cute.  Today we were the only two there (clearly everyone knows not to go to the zoo in the freezing cold) and two elephants gave us a private show.  They were so sweet and cute!

He was not feeling well and sat down and folded his arms.  When I asked what was wrong, he started crying saying he was sick.  And when I asked what would make it better – his reply was priceless – “THE GIFT SHOP”!

During the entire 4 hours at the zoo, Soren kept asking for the gift shop.  To the point where he was reading the map and the signs, only with the exit gift shop on his mind.  At one point, I had to threaten that if he mentioned the gift shop one more time, we’d skip it completely.  Soren did come up with a song – “Heron’s flying, Seals are barking & a Peacock is sleeping on a bench.”

They had several giraffes outside in the open area, but three were kept apart indoors.  That is when
Soren spotted a red needle sticking out of the giraffe’s side and said it was like the lion in Madascar, who saw swirls in his eyes.

When we left, we decided to walk down to the Heuston station and take the LUAS back to George’s Dock.  It was a long walk and I felt bad as his feet where tired from walking, though I didn’t particularly enjoy walking in the cold pushing Maebh in the stroller either.   So after a long, cold day at the zoo with loads of walking, we retired to the hotel room ate our Mexican takeaway on the bed watching Cbeebies.

Oh and almost forget – the squirrel trying to get the bottle.

Read all about Day One.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s