So I had some free time yesterday while Soren was at school so I took a stab at doing up a pillow by hand stitching. So it’s my first piece done for Beehind The Seam. It’s a very rough start, but I’m confident with practice and a sewing machine, it will be much better! For starters, I’d have it facing left next time too 🙂 I originally was going to do the lid in a different print and keep a space, but I didn’t have another fabric that would coordinate with this one.
My Mom sent Nils back with some fabrics, loads of buttons, pins, embroidery thread, etc. Of all the fabrics, this was my favorite. I need to get some other fabrics soon – so next time in the town center, I’ll pick up some. I visited a sewing store on Bond Street and they had a large pile of half yard pieces (technically scraps) for less than a pound and really cute prints. I’ll also check charity shops for clothing – a nice ladies dress or a man’s shirt with a fun print for a pound or so will be worth it.
The actual purple pillow case was purchased for 1.75 from a lighting store in town, who had a dozen or so different types of cases for sale. I stuffed it with a pillow I had around here to see how it looks. It’s a little shiny but I wanted to start on these ones and save the really nice ones, which I’ll buy from B&Q, when I am comfortable.
I used some bonding web with my new car boot iron and made a teapot design and then hand stitched with embroidery thread. I now really think I have to use a sewing machine on zig zag #3 stitch to keep it even and more professional looking. I’ll see if I can borrow my MIL’s until I can pick one up for myself.
Here I did another one for Maebh – 40 minutes total with hand stitching… nothing fancy but she likes it.